Mordechai Gebirtig (also spelled Mordche Gebirtig; 'Apri 4, 1877 - June 4, 1942) was a talented Polish Jewish song writer in the first half of the 20th century and a Holocaust victim. Gebirtig's most famous work was the 1938 Yiddish language song "Undzer Shtetl Brennt" which became a fighting song for Jewish resistance forces during World War II. When the Nazis came for Gebirtig’s community they shot him, presumably they knew he would have caused them problems if he had stayed alive.
- SaveTheMusic on Mordechai Gebirtig (includes multiple recording of different songs)
- Mordechai Gebirtig (Wikipedia article)
- ES BRENT The Yiddish words of Gebirtig's song with an English translation
Below are YouTube versions of Mordechai Gebirtig's famous song.
- Es Brent (It's Burning) This version has dramatic and disturbing photographs from the Holocaust.
- Undzer Shtetl Brennt This has the Yiddish lyrics written in the Roman alphabet to help listeners follow them.
- Mordecai Gebirtig: "Our Town Is Burning" This has photographs of ghetto life and less disturbing photographs from the Holocaust. There is an English text about Gebirtig and a translation of the song.
- S Brent / Undzer shtetl brent - (Jiddisch) This is also a powerful Yiddish version with a female virtuoso.
- Our town is burning - Undzer shtetl brent! Singing Yonatan Shapira This includes a Hebrew text.
- Oi Va Voi - S'brent Here the music is less traditional.